A person in the Support Worker (Preschool) position is responsible for the overall support for children who have an intellectual disability. Community Living Mississauga works with a number of childcare providers in Mississauga to provide inclusive childcare experiences for children who have an intellectual disability. Working under the guidance of a Manager/Supervisor, this position is responsible for the individualized support of one or more children as directed in their personal support plan. Support may include personal care as required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Selects, uses and adapts effective teaching strategies and specialized learning materials to promote developmental growth and learning
- Knowledgeable of child’s individual verbal and nonverbal communications, including alternative communication systems and techniques, and encourages self-expression of children who receive support.
- Implements assessment measures to assess child’s development needs (social, sensory development and physical health), strengths and progress (including observation and documentation).
- Completes essential job duties in a thorough and detailed manner.
- Remains current and informed regarding organizational information.
- Knowledgeable and pursues resources available in the community.
- Promotes community inclusion.
- Ensures budget expenditures for each child/family are according to approved budget.
- Knowledgeable of standards set by the organization in terms of Personal Outcome Measures and ensures these are maintained or improved.
- Ensures the “Minimum Standards Guidelines” are maintained above the “adequate level” for each individual
- Problem solving with children, families etc.
- Utilizes/develops new techniques, options or approaches to supporting children.
- Demonstrates on an ongoing basis an understanding and application of the concepts related to CPI/NVCI.
- Knows and follows emergency back up system procedures.
- Demonstrates effective use of technology.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Early Child Education Diploma (2 yrs. Community College or equivalency) PLUS either a Resource Teacher Certificate (1yr Community College) or Certificate of Advanced Studies in Special Needs (1yr Community College) or related additional training
- Previous experience working or volunteering with children who have an intellectual disability
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Proficient with PC computer environment; MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Must have a Valid Ontario Driver’s License (Class G or G2) and access to a reliable vehicle and Insurance
- Valid First Aid/CPR certificate is required
- Fluent in French (or additional second languages) an asset
- A recent medical examination submitted within 30 calendar days of hire
- Consent to conduct a criminal record search or submission of a valid criminal record search.
** This job posting is intended as a guide to reflect the principal functions of the job. However, it is not an all-inclusive listing of the required job functions. Further, the job description is subject to change at the discretion of management.
We provide competitive compensation/benefits packages and paid training opportunities.
While we thank everyone for their interest in Community Living Mississauga, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
Community Living Mississauga Attention:
Human Resources Ref # CLM – Preschool
1-6695 Millcreek Drive
Mississauga ON L5N 5R8
Community Living Mississauga recognizes that individuals who have a disability use methods other than standard print to access information. Community Living Mississauga will provide this job posting, or other employment related documentation, as needed or requested, in a format that takes into account the person’s disability, such as plain language, large print, Braille, etc.