A person in the Support Assistant (part-time) position is responsible for the overall support for an individual who has an intellectual disability. Community Living Mississauga manages a number of group homes and Supported Independent Living locations throughout Mississauga. Working under the guidance of a Manager/Supervisor, this position is responsible for the individualized support of one or more individuals as directed in their personal support plan. Support may include personal care as required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to individuals who have an intellectual disability with goal to promote independence (may include personal care).
- Knowledgeable of individuals verbal and nonverbal communications, including alternative communication systems and techniques, and encourages self-expression of individuals who receive support.
- Completes essential job duties in a thorough and detailed manner.
- Remains current and informed regarding organizational information.
- Knowledgeable and pursues resources available in the community.
- Promotes community inclusion.
- Ensures budget expenditures for each individual are according to approved budget.
- Knowledgeable of standards et by the organization in terms of Personal Outcome Measures and ensures these are maintained or improved.
- Ensures the “Minimum Standards Guidelines” are maintained above the “adequate level” for each individual.
- Problem solving with individuals, families etc.
- Utilizes/develops new techniques, options or approaches to supporting individuals.
- Demonstrates on an ongoing basis an understanding and application of the concepts related to CPI/NVCI.
- Knows and follows emergency back-up procedures.
- Demonstrates effective use of technology.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Developmental Service Worker diploma or equivalent (Social Services Worker diploma, Child and Youth Worker diploma, or a Degree from a public University, recognized by the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities) or Enrolled and actively pursuing a Developmental Services Worker diploma from a public college or equivalent (Social Services Worker diploma, Child and Youth Worker diploma, or a Degree from a public University, recognized by the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities)
- Previous experience working or volunteering with people who have an intellectual disability.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Proficient with PC computer environment; MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Must have a Valid Ontario Driver’s License (Class G or G2), access to a reliable vehicle and Insurance.
- Valid Standard First Aid/Level C CPR certificate is required.
- Fluent in French (or additional second languages) an asset.
*Must be consistently available weekends
This job posting is intended as a guide to reflect the principal functions of the job. However, it is not an all-inclusive listing of the required job functions. Further, the job description is subject to change at the discretion of management.
We provide competitive compensation packages and paid training opportunities. While we thank everyone for their interest in Community Living Mississauga, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
Community Living Mississauga
Attention: Human Resources Ref # SA-RES
1-6695 Millcreek Drive
Mississauga, ON L5N 5R8
Community Living Mississauga recognizes that individuals who have a disability use methods other than standard print to access information. Community Living Mississauga will provide this job posting, or other employment related documentation, as needed or requested, in a format that takes into account the person’s disability, such as plain language, large print, Braille, etc.