The Ministry of Community and Social Services is making enhancements to the province’s social assistance programs to help people reach their full potential and build fairer, more prosperous communities.
- Increasing social assistance rates by two per cent for all people receiving social assistance
- Helping people who live in remote and northern communities — who often pay more for basic needs like groceries and transportation — by increasing the Remote Communities Allowance
- Increasing limits on cash and other assets so that people can better manage financial setbacks
- Increasing the income exemption for cash gifts, to better recognize that people receiving social assistance may also receive support from family or friends
- Streamlining rules to make the system work better for people.
Improving social assistance is part of the Ministry’s plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
To learn more about the changes to ODSP, please visit: https://news.ontario.ca/mcss/en/2017/09/improving-ontarios-social-assistance-programs.html